A woman has warned others to put outdoor glass-topped tables in the shade after hers suddenly exploded after being exposed to the sun.
Victoria Merrells posted in a Facebook group that her table, bought from Argos, had “literally exploded” after being sat in the sun.
The post was inundated with comments from others, saying the same had happened to their outdoor tables, and they have since discovered that they’re not designed to sit in unshaded areas in the hot weather with direct sunlight on them.
Victoria said: “To anyone who owns a glass topped garden table please beware.
“This morning my black glass-topped table literally exploded. Thank goodness no one was sat at it at the time, like we were over the weekend, as I dread to think what would have been the outcome then.
“I have spent the whole afternoon tidying up glass from my patio, from in between the paving slabs, and from the grass.
To sign up for the Hull Live newsletter, click here.
“I found glass several meters away from where the table actually was. I have two young children who love to run around bare footed. We have literally vacuumed the paving slabs as well as swept them to try and ensure all traces of glass are gone.”
She said the table was bought over a year ago and she has been referred us to the manufacturer.
Victoria added: “The outcome of this could have been horrific so please just be aware. It was possibly caused by the heat but outdoor tables should be able to withstand heat.”
The post received over 1,000 comments, with many saying the same thing had happened to there glass-topped tables.
One said: “This happened to ours too. It made a horrible loud noise and just exploded glass everywhere. They really shouldn’t sell them to be honest. “
Another said: “This happened to ours. It is quite obviously a known issue with black glass tables and in my opinion they shouldn’t be allowed for use in outdoors as they cannot withstand the heat on hot days.”
An Argos spokesperson said: “Although it’s extremely rare, glass tables can break for a number of reasons and so our sets are designed to shatter safely into small pieces to prevent serious injury.
“We have reviewed the image and can see that’s what’s happened in this case.”